You are here
|Name||Description||Use At Home?|
Locate books, periodicals, computer programs, films, maps, sound recordings, videotapes, dissertations and other formats in thousands of libraries worldwide.
Interlibrary Loan service is temporarily suspended as we prepare to move back to your new library. We expect to resume taking your requests by June 25, 2021, so they may be ready for you when we re-open.
What is Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is an agreement between libraries throughout the United States to share materials by borrowing and lending to each other. If our library does not own a specific item, we can try to borrow it for you if it is not available in the SWAN consortium.
- Request materials from other libraries using the Title Request Form
Loan periods must be observed by the patron. Cost of the item may be billed for items more than 14 days overdue. Standard overdue fines also will apply. Abuse of ILL policies can result in the suspension of ILL borrowing privileges.
What if I need help with my Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Email Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
- Phone ILL: 630-584-0076, ext. 224 or
- If you cannot reach ILL staff, Reference Services may help at 630-584-0076, ext. 1
Who is eligible to use the Interlibrary Loan service?
Only St. Charles Public Library cardholders may use this service. All other cardholders must go to their home library to make ILL requests.
What may be requested?
- Articles (We request photocopies or electronic documents, not entire issues.)
- Libraries generally do not lend materials which have been published within the past six months and we will evaluate for potential purchase.
How do I submit a request?
- Before submitting a request, please check the catalog to see whether St. Charles or one of the SWAN member libraries owns it by using the dropdown menu to search “All SWAN Libraries.”
- To borrow items that are in the SWAN system, please place a hold.
- If you cannot find what you are searching for, use the Title Request Form or Search other Libraries and make online requests.
How do I use Worldcat Discovery?
- Search other Libraries.
- Select the link Request item through Interlibrary Loan and fill out the online form.
How many Interlibrary Loan requests may I submit?
We reserve the right to limit requests due to staffing and workload.
How long does it take to get materials?
Allow at least two weeks for receipt of materials. If the Library can’t get an item, you will be notified.
How long can I keep the materials?
- Loan periods are determined by the lending library. Average loan periods are two to four weeks.
- Some materials are restricted to in-library use only.
- Photocopies are yours to keep. If an email is provided, we may send you an electronic copy.
- Loan periods must be observed by the patron. Cost of the item may be billed for items more than 14 days overdue. Standard overdue fines also will apply. Abuse of ILL policies can result in the suspension of ILL borrowing privileges.
Can I renew my Interlibrary Loan items?
Yes, unless it has a "No Renewal" sticker on the item. ILL items are eligible for up to two renewals pending lending library approval. Call or visit the Reference Desk 630-584-0076, ext. 1 to renew your ILL items.
Where do I pickup my Interlibrary Loan item(s)?
Items are held for you in the holds area next to the Circulation Desk. Look for the first two letters of your last name then the last five digits of your Library card barcode.
What if I lose or damage an item borrowed from another library?
The lending library determines the cost of replacing a lost item. Some libraries charge flat rates up to $150 for lost or damaged items. You are responsible for paying the replacement cost assessed by the lending library as well as any processing costs.