You are here
Annual Report Summary
Annual Report Summary 2016-2017
Snapshot of Library Accomplishments
- The development and launch of the Local Authors’ website, SCPLReadLocal.org was a key initiative and join collaborative effort between Communications & Marketing and Reader Services. The new website offers library cardholders and local writers a professional suite of resources and tools.
- A partnership with Delnor Hospital and the Tri-City Libraries to market the three libraries’ community outreach programs to patients who may be temporarily (or newly) homebound due to accident or illness.
- In partnership with St. Charles Community Unit School District 303, we helped collect 1,200 books in our lobby with 20,500 books collected community-wide for Bernie’s Book Drive.
- Astronaut Mark Lee’s reading challenge: seven students read 200 books from July 2016 through June 1, 2017. Each student received a certificate and NASA patches directly from Astronaut Lee.
- Our Technical Services department initiated a new relationship with Better World Books/Book recycling. They implemented programs to re-use and recycle withdrawn or deleted materials.
- Youth Services librarians created Early Literacy theme bags for our library, an idea which grew from a visit to another library. Each bag is filled with age-appropriate titles to provide a variety of literacy experiences through stories, information, rhyming and wordless books.
- Career Online High School, a new program, offers adults the opportunity to earn a high school diploma. We can accommodate up to 10 students studying simultaneously. Currently, there are four students enrolled and a fifth taking the prerequisite course.
- We introduced VHS to DVD transfer equipment in the Tech Center. We also added other digital conversion equipment for slides and film.
- The new water bottle station was installed in July. Filtered water and the reduction of waste, reducing landfills of 13,104 water bottles, was much appreciated by patrons and staff.
- Outreach Assistant Lynda Spraner was the deserving recipient of the Illinois Library Association’s 2017 Robert P. Doyle Award.
- Reader Services Librarian Marlise Schiltz contributed to two articles: “Local Librarians offer Selections for Summer Reading” in the July 2016 edition of Kane County Magazine and “Popular Page Turners,” about local book clubs, in the Daily Herald on February 10, 2017.
- eBook use increased 60%
- Circulation per cardholder 46.5 and circulation per capita 26
- Borrowing from other libraries 62,490
- Lending from other libraries 41,219 items
- 1,452,532 books and other materials were checked out
- 56.7% of our 55,092 residents have current St. Charles Public Library cards (+1.5%)
- 26,363 physical items were added to the collection; 40,575 were withdrawn
- Youth Services had 945 library programs and visits to area schools, with 23,149 in attendance
- Adult had 279 programs with 5,078 in attendance